Manic: Just as the school year seems to be winding down, my calendar is filled with spring performances, hockey training camps, tryouts, year-end school projects, AIMS testing, award ceremonies and more!
Managed: Take a deep breath, get organized and remind myself that someday I’ll miss these days!
Are you a manic managed mom like me? Take the quiz to see:
1. Did you start to catch your breath again around Spring Break?
2. And then did you come back from break to realize that these last weeks before summer break are crammed to the max?!
3. And did that make you feel a bit overwhelmed and tired?
4. Did you tell your car that it’s back in business after all?
5. Do you wish that all this driving kids from point A to point B burned calories?!
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you are a manic managed mom! Read on for some managedmom tips on how to stay on top of that crazy schedule!
- Tip #1 – Get it, record it…immediately! In the last two days alone, I received dates for my son’s hockey training camp, hockey tryouts and Confirmation responsibilities. I also got word about my daughter’s performances, ticket deadlines, summer theatre camp sign-up and awards ceremony. And that doesn’t include dentist or vet appointments! So, my number rule is to record it as soon as you get it! For me, that means going right to my phone’s calendar to input the date, time and location.
Tip #2 – Make your family meet. Although they may protest, call a family meeting to discuss the busy weeks ahead. Doing this not only catches possible conflicts, but also forces everyone to be a little more patient with each other and to work together to keep the calendar dates organized.
Tip #3 – Get healthy and stay healthy. When the calender books up fast with so many commitments, force the family to eat their greens and get to bed on time!
Tip #4 – Work with other managed moms. Reach out to other busy moms and work out a plan to trade off rides to and from the various events. This is especially helpful if you have more then one child! Always offer to reciprocate!
Tip #5 – Do an equipment check. This is the time to make sure the ice skates are sharpened or the script is completely memorized. Or that the supplies for the big year-end project have been purchased. The only thing worse than having a jam-packed schedule is adding on a last-minute run to get needed supplies for that sport, activity or deadline!
Tip #6 – Self discipline Mom. Managed moms out there, remember to drink your water all day, take your vitamins and get to bed on time. We get so wrapped up taking care of the family, that we forget to take care of ourselves.
Tip #7 – Stay positive when the family gets grumpy and tired from all the running around. You are the rock…BUT you are also allowed to whine with a little wine with your gal pals! 🙂
Happy busy Spring season everyone!
What are your managedmom tips to keep your family managed with our manic schedules? Share in the comments section.