Manic: This week as our firstborn baby boy grows up and moves into his dorm room! With all of the excitement and emotion, it is hard to focus on the task at hand. The list!
Managed: After several of my gal pals asked me to share our dorm room essentials list on my blog, I agreed that this is a great idea. So here is the list.
Compiled by us, our son’s wish list and the best part…suggestions from other parents who have been there, done that…and then had to go back to the store for dorm stuff that is easy to forget. Stuff like shower curtain rings (although do check the dorm room to see if the shower has a door and doesn’t need a shower curtain), a power strip, Advil, a lamp…stuff we don’t always think about. So take a look, print out the lists (I have included several here) and happy college days to your little birdie who is leaving the nest.
And be sure to first consult your child’s roommate to check off who brings what and what can be shared like a mini fridge and microwave.
- Linens for bed & bath – Dorm room beds are specially sized so typical sized fitted sheets won’t fit. With this in mind and after shopping around and comparing prices, I found the best value to be at the very helpful online college shopping store, Our Campus Market. The Student Starter Pak is a good value. For $139 we received our box in the design that my son selected…and I listed the contents below. This is our box that we received…
And here is what came in that box…
2 extra-long flat sheets
2 extra-long fitted sheets
2 standard pillowcases
1 extra-fluffy machine washable pillow
1 extra-long reversible comforter
1 extra-long quilted mattress pad
1 extra-long thermal cotton blanket
2 all-cotton bath towels
2 matching cotton hand towels
2 matching cotton wash cloths
2. Laundry Basket on Wheels – found ours at Target. My son’s girlfriend, who is starting her sophomore year at ASU (so she has experience) suggested this. I would not have thought to get him one on wheels to wheel down the dorm hall. Smart! You can see the one we bought in the first picture above. Of course, buy laundry detergent and dryer sheets, too.
3. Grooming essentials – Our Campus Market has nifty grooming sets for both the guys and the girls. We purchased one for our son called the Nitty Gritty Grooming Collection that includes a ton of stuff like shampoo, shower gel, deodorant, men’s face wash, toothpaste, toothbrush, mouth wash and more. It did cost $59 but it is the perfect set up to get him started. The box it comes in is super cool and this can be mailed directly to the dorm as a college care kit. My son liked this a lot. The girls version, called Primp It Pretty Personal Collection is pictured here and costs the same…
4. Our son’s #1 requested item was a coffee maker so he was so happy when he saw one in his surprise pile!
5. For the rest of the needed items, I am sharing this nice succinct list that ASU provided. Then I will share a more elaborate list that ASU also mailed to us. First the short list…
Here is a more detailed list…
- Flashlight with batteries
- Personal hygiene products
- School supplies
- Personal property insurance
- Bedding linen/pillow (XL twin, regular twin or full size, depending on room style)
- Can opener
- Cleaning supplies
- Dishes and silverware
- Iron/small ironing board
- Laundry basket/supplies
- Rug/carpet/bath mat
- Shower caddy
- Study/reading lamp
- Light bulbs
- Trash can (depending on room amenities)
- Towels/shower shoes
- Toilet paper
- Shower curtain
- Alarm clock
- Extension cord/power strip
- Cell phone/charger
- Ethernet cables (20-25 feet)
- TV/DVD/BLU-Ray Player
And last but not least, stuff my gal pals told me that I hadn’t thought of…
*1st Aid Kit complete with Advil and Tylenol and a thermometer. Two of my mom friends told me that they added first-aid cold meds, cotton balls, Q-tips, Cortizone, Pepto, bandages and Caladryl. I am also putting in bug spray wipes called Bug Band Towelettes that are conveniently packaged from Bug Band.
*One of these Moms also told me that she had to return to the store to get forgotten items that included light bulbs, a lock for a personal cabinet that the dorm provides, an ether net cable for the TV and a basketball. Love that she told me this about more needed items for her son.
Ok, parents out there. What did I forget on these lists? Did I get it all? Do share in the comments section as I am brand new to this college parent club. It is an exciting world to be in!
The real thing happens next Friday…smile/sniffle/joy/sadness….bittersweet. So exciting!