Manic: Holidays, year-end events, seasonal travel and everything else that happens as we begin December! And tight budgets coupled with holiday shopping can produce understandable anxiety.
Managed: Do your yoga! Here is a pose from our managedmoms.com yoga expert that can reduce anxiety, aid digestion, strengthen your knee joints and more. Try this…
Prasarita Padotasana B: Wide-Legged
Forward Fold with Hands on Hips
*Calms the mind
*Opens the heart
*Strengthens knees joints
1. Stand with the feet three to four feet apart, toes turned slightly inward toward each other.
2. Rotate the heels slightly outward, creating an inward spiral of the thigh.
3. Bring the hands to the hips. Gaze upward and inhale, lifting the sternum to the sky.
4. Exhale, keeping the hands on the hips.
5. Draw the elbows back as if to bring them together. Engage the quads and the core to create your forward fold. This pose is not about letting gravity pull you down, but about actively folding your body in half, squeezing out toxins and impurities and reversing the typical flow of blood. Inhale and exhale deeply 5 times. Then replace the hands on the hips, and let the inhale lift you back up to standing.
Contraindications and Cautions:
*Come out of this pose slowly particularly if you have low blood pressure.
About Roman Acevedo, Yoga Instructor
Roman began practicing yoga in 2000 to complement his rigorous workout and hectic work schedule. Leading to increased strength, concentration and flexibility, he found yoga far more beneficial in restoring peace in any stressful environment. Studying under Andrew Eppler and local instructors Dave Oliver, Cheryl Oliver and John Salisbury, Roman is currently working towards the 500 hour advanced Yoga Instructor training.
Read more about Roman on our team bio page.