Several years ago my very thoughtful sister-in-law made several of us cookbooks for Christmas. This little hand-made cookbook filled with her very special recipes has survived a move, several kids and a lot of cooking in my kitchen.
It is now stained with various foods, but the contents survive, so today I am sharing my favorite recipe from her sweet little book. Read on for a really good red chili, beans and rice recipe. Yum!
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
3 Tablespoons oil
1/8 teaspoon minced garlic
1 to 2 Tablespoons chopped onion
3 Tablespoons chili powder
3 Tablespoons flour
1 large can whole tomatoes
2 cans 8 oz. size of tomato sauce
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 cups water
1 large can Ranch style beans
1. Brown and drain hamburger.
2. Add oil, garlic and onion and cook until onion is tender.
3. Add chili powder and flour. Stir well.
4. Next add tomato sauce, salt, pepper and juice from canned tomatoes.
5. Chop tomatoes or chop in blender. I like to use the blender to get the consistency shown in the picture.
6. Add tomatoes to chili mixture with the water.
7. Bring to a boil and then turn down to simmer.
8. Add ranch-style beans and simmer 5 to 10 minutes or longer if you want.
9. Serve over white rice in bowls. I like to use Trader Joe’s Organic Jasmine Rice. I serve the finished dish with cornbread, which my family loves.
Not only is this dinner yummy, but it makes a huge pot that will last for several days. And this is a dish that makes a delicious left-over meal.
Well I made this Chili for my family last Thursday. I made it in the crock pot, because Thursday night is my tv night. So something simple and easy for everyone to get at without me cooking and cleaning. First in the afternoon I put the hamburger into the crockpot on low to brown it. After about an hour when the hamburger was brown, I dumped all the other ingredients in the crockpot and cooked all day on low. The only the thing I changed was 1 1/2 cups of water vs. 3, just because I like my chili thick. Anyway, it turned out wonderful! In fact everyone had seconds and the next few days, all the leftovers were gone. The thing I really liked about this recipe was the Ranch Style Beans, they really gave it that western kick that you need. Very yummy for everyone in the family. Very easy for the manic mom that has to have her Thursday nights for Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice without standing over the stove!
Awesome! I’m so glad your family liked it and thanks so much for the crock pot and water measurment suggestions. I can’t wait to try it your way, as the crock pot is a manic managed mom’s best friend for sure!